December 22, 2009

Since the Finals Are Over...


I actually have time to craft, sew, quilt, cook dinner, bake, do laundry, clean the house, exercise, shower, pluck my eyebrows...ok, you get it.  It is soo great!  This is the chalkboard in the 3rd year area of our lab at the dental school.  There's always something *creative* drawn on it.  Edit: I just realized that that "2" is probably Trogdor. (Yeah, click on it...you need to watch this...)  Hats off to whoever drew that!  The number of days-to-number of finals ratio was definitely exhausting this semester and I'm still recovering.  It's especially difficult since I'm on a caffiene hiatus to let my body recover from the shock it endured.

I actually made this little number during finals.  Yeah, I know.  I'm crazy.



My sister-in-law got a similar tutu for Miss Sidney upon her birth and requested one for a friend's little girl not long after that.  Well, said friend's little girl had a birthday this past weekend, so the tutu was in order!  This is the first time I wrapped the ribbon around the waist and then tied the bow in the back and I'm thinking I like it!  There's still plenty of give for the elastic to do its thing.

I've also had some time to work on the value quilt, but it's a little slow going.  I'm planning on lugging my sewing machine to Houston over Christmas to get the top finished, if not more.

Today, I had the pleasure of having my friend, Kim (recipient of this quilt), over to teach her a little quilting.  We're making her a t-shirt quilt out of her college shirts - of the Baylor University variety.



We got a serious amount of work done!  We cut up the shirts and laid them out, decided on a background fabric and ran to Hobby Lobby to get the "goods".  We came back and trimmed them up and ironed on the fusible interfacing.  Oops! one of the blocks escaped the picture there!  Kim picked a nice, soft gray for the sashing and we'll add some green and gold as a salute to Baylor on the back.  Maybe a dash on the front, too...hmmm...that might look nice.



It was a great time to talk a little quilting, talk a little life, and get to know each other better!  Thanks for coming over, Kim!  Now we've got a WIP (work-in-progress) to finish up!

No comments: