March 5, 2010

I Made a Quilt for My Sister

So, it's, uh, been a while.  Let me catch you up a bit.  I've been working on a quilt for my sister (who graduated in December *ahem*), and all during February while I worked on it....

It snowed - a lot.  12 inches, which *never* happens here in Tejas.

We made a very scary snowman.  He didn't last 30 minutes before getting whacked by some kids.  I don't blame them.  It looks like he's out to whack everybody in the neighborhood.

Seriously, this just doesn't happen here.  The last time it did was 1979.  I was like 2 months in utero.


And we went to the opera.  Love me some Mozart.  Our season tickets are on the last row.  The *very* last row.  But it's still a great view and the acoustics in the new Dallas opera house are amazing. (The chandelier raises up, don't worry).

We went to our friends' wedding in good ol' Austin.  The reception was at the Oasis.  Yummmm.

This is what I mean by yummm.  Lake Travis is so beautiful.  How I miss looking at it from our front yard!

We managed to squeeze in a little side trip to our favorite little bbq spot.

It was a beautiful day! We ran by HEB, filled our cooler up, and enjoyed some great music under the trees while we waited for our table.  We definitely didn't mind the wait.

OH, yeah.  And I finished her quilt.  I got to give it to her tonight and I'm pretty sure she likes it : )

I sashed it in muslin, and backed and bound it with this great charcoal flat sheet from IKEA (I got a few on recommendation from Amanda Jean before she bowed out from blogland- not bad).  The fabrics are Amy Butler's LOVE and Sandi Henderson's Ginger Blossom.  I used Willy Nilly's value quilt tutorial

I gave it to her in this great oil cloth bag I got at Garden Ridge - the perfect size to gift a lap quilt in for $4!  It's nice and deep!

Congrats, Casey!  We're so proud of you!

(please ignore the very bloated looking me - yikes)

I'm still pretty behind in my quilting.  I'm past due a wedding quilt and I'd really like to make a baby quilt for a friend whose girl is 2 months old and another wedding is coming up in June.  OH, and I've already cut quilts for two girlfriends who deserve them big time.  If only I were done with school....if only...

1 comment:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I like the idea of packaging up a quilt in a pretty bag that is a gift itself. Congrats to your sister on her graduation!

Love the snow pics! As a Floridian, I never tire of seeing them and am actually envious!