September 6, 2011

Labor Day

I had really wanted to post about my labor day on Labor Day, but seeing as newborns often change your plans, we'll just do it today : )

This is Audrey Lorelai Mann
7 lb 1 oz, 18.75 in, born 4:48 am August 30, 2011

This is how it went down, you know, so I won't ever forget ; )

August 28, 2011
11:30 pm - my water broke right after we turned out the lights for the night
12:30 pm - our bags were loaded in the car, the doctor called
August 29, 2011
1:00 am - at the hospital, still no contractions
2:00 am - started IV, What? You're giving me pitocin without an epidural???  Yikes.
2am - 8am - went from 1 cm to a whopping 2-3 cm sans epidural all the time the nurses cranking up the pitocin and making me angry that they were witholding my epidural because I wasn't progressing.  Grrr....
8:00 am - Praise Jesus! I got my epidural anyway.  Now I was relaxed enough to dilate.
8am - 12am (yes, I mean midnight the next day) - dilated to 10cm very slowly
August 30, 2011
12:00 am - start pushing
3:00 am - still pushing, decide to push 1 more hour then do forceps delivery - her head was right there! Epidural wearing off...I was moving my legs easily.
4:00 am - decide to do forceps and discover upon exam that my tailbone was curving too far inward - seems that when I fell down some stairs in high school, I probably broke it and it healed that way making it hard to push the head past crowning.  Dr. advised that he might rebreak my tailbone during the forceps delivery, adding to the already fun recovery.  I was convinced she was so on the verge of coming, it was worth the risk.  Told anesthesiologist that I didn't care about being able to "feel" where to push because I didn't want to feel anything,  I told her that I just didn't want to give up pushing and have to do a c-section just because it hurt too bad.  She put my legs partially back to sleep.
4:00 am - 4:48 am - a furious frenzy of nurses, resident and dr. take over the room and with just a few pushes, Miss Audrey was here!

1 Week

We were so exhausted, but she is so worth it!  God has blessed us with a sweet little darling!
We went to the Dr. today for her 1 week newborn screen and to make sure that the tiny bit of jaundice she had had gone away.  She's 6 lb 13 oz and 19.5 in after being down to 6 lb 7 oz, so she's eating like a champ!

I started piecing a new quilt in the last days before baby thinking I had a good week and a half to finish it.  We'll see when I can pick up on that!


Jackie said...

She is so precious! Congratulations!

Bethany said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations :)

meli B said...

Sounds like you went through a pretty tough time to get this precious bundle out! She is absolutely beautiful. May you get enough sleep to actually remember and treasure these early days.

Kristie said...

Congratulations! She is gorgeous :)

My first labour went down something like that.....and i was still crazy enough to do it 2 more times :) We have a way of forgetting until we are in the thick of it again!! All so very worth it.

Audrie said...

She is so sweet! I can see why you can't stop holding her. :) I'm so glad you liked the paintings!