January 31, 2015

Mimi's Christmas Quilt

Mimi is the sweet lady who kept our girls during the day. Audrey started with her when she was four months old and stayed until she was 3 and started preschool. Andrea started staying with her when she was 2 months old and started preschool at 2. Needless to say, she was a big part of our girls' lives and she gets a quilt!


Mimi is a lover of Christmas, so she got a Christmas quilt. Her family makes and sells Christmas Yard Art at Canton every year, so for about 1/3 of the year, they are pretty festive in their house. 


I received this panel of snowmen years ago as a bonus with an order of fabric from a small online shop that doesn't exist anymore. I knew I wanted to cut it up and make a table runner or quilt, but it languished in the sewing room forever. 


Of course, I decided a few weeks before Christmas that this was happening, so it became a late January Christmas/farewell present. 


I fused and then raw-edge appliquéd the snowflakes and then hand-quilted around them. 


I used white DMC pearl cotton size 12 to outline all of the straight lines as well. 


Here are the happy snowmen!


I used some leftover red bias tape I had for the binding. 


I backed the quilt in a flannel Christmas sheet I got on clearance at Target many years ago. It's super soft and warm!


...And the really hard to read label.  I took the girls by after school to give it to her and visit a bit. She loved it!   

No comments: