April 22, 2019

Andrea’s Quilt

I’ve had this quilt on my to-do list for a while, but as it goes for most younger siblings, it took a while  for this busy momma to get it done. I’ve had an idea for the pattern for a while. At first I wanted to do a true Kansas Dug Out or Road to Tennessee pattern, but in the end I came up with a plan using what I had: a layer cake and charm pack of Fandango by Kate Spain for Moda Fabrics. 


I took each 10” square and cut it into fourths and used 2.5” white squares to “dog-ear” two opposing corners on each square. Then I put the four new squares back together to make the “X” - except for one “O”. I added a few solids from my stash to bring the block count up to 48. Then, I whacked the charm pack into fourths and used those as the cornerstones in the 2.5” sashing. 


I hand quilted a large and small petal in each arm of the “X” and filled in the sashing areas with squares using templates I cut out and a wash away marker. 


I bound the quilt in a sweet vintage green and added a label!


I really like to embroider my labels by hand.  

 

Sometimes I use my own handwriting, but usually I find a simple font and print out the message large enough to stitch.  Then I trace it with a pencil or wash away marker and stitch away!


She loves it and I'm so glad to have quilts on both of my daughters' beds.  Next up....our bed!

No comments: