April 17, 2009

Blogger Quilt Festival

I decided to cheat. I can't pick just one.

I did pick a theme, though: Grandmother Quilts. The first quilt was what got me quilting in the first place. Every fabric (minus the borders) was my great-grandmother's. When we found the pieces going while through some of her things, I decided I would learn how to quilt to finish what she started and give it to Nanna for her 80th birthday. Look where it got me! My Nanna, pictured here, did not inherit her mom's love of quilting, but she's a mighty seamstress and made all her daughter's dresses. And hemmed a lot of mine! There's a lot of sentiment packed in this one. It's my second quilt, my first hand-quilted, my first venture into color and pattern, and I learned a lot making it.

Now, for my NaNa's quilt. This one is the most technically challenging I've done, and it's pretty big. It's the second 80th birthday quilt and I made it during my first year of dental school - quite a feat! It represents rare moments of insanity where I would set aside my studies to do something I really enjoyed - and catch up on the first few seasons of LOST I'd missed out on : ) It was hard, and stressful, and pushed me, so I definitely had to kick it up a notch. NaNa taught me how to sew. She would give me cross-stitch and embroidery samplers and teach me how to do the stitches when I'd spend the night at her house. (I still have them...unfinished! Need to work on that...20 years later...) She, herself, hooks wool rugs, and I fully intend to get a post up soon and show off her amazing work. This quilt is hand-quilted, too, and the label (on the back) is hand-embroidered.

So I guess this is kind of a hats off to my sewing heritage. My quilting continues to evolve into my own style as most of my recent quilts are quite a bit different than these (and actually made better), but there's much more going into these than most of the others.

13 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love it!

Kerri said...

these are so lovely!!

Cindy's Stitching said...

Ver nice colors, I am sure your nana is proud and loves it.

Jocelyn said...

Both of these quilts are very lovely. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing about your two grandmothers.

stitchinpenny said...

I like both the quilts.

Quilt Rat said...

Quilts and story......terrific great job. Enjoy the festival

Anonymous said...

Both truly beautiful quilts. Your grandmothers will treasure them as they treasure you.

hetty said...

Two really great quilts and a lovely story! Thanks for sharing!

Andi said...

What a wonderful way to connect with another generation of craftswomen.
Good on you!!!

Unknown said...

Both are beautiful reminders of such great women in your life! Thank you for sharing :)

Jeannette said...

When I was in grad school I relaxed by recovering a couch and sewing doll clothes.Your quilts are beautiful and I love how your sewing is a heart connection in your family. I am glad you "cheated"...I would have unknowingly been cheated if I hadn't had opportunity to see both of these quilts.

Granny Lyn said...

Family history woven into a quilt...my idea of wonderful!

Both are beautiful!

Heather said...

love the first one best with all those wonderful colours.