May 11, 2009

T-Shirt Quilt Tutorial Part 3 - Sashing/Borders

I've decided to go scrappy with my border fabric, so I started by laying out where I wanted the different fabrics to go.



I cut 3" strips of the fabric for this block.

I then sewed on strips to the short ends right sides together, pressed the seam, and squared up my block.

I then sewed on the strips to the longer sides, pressed the seams, and squared up the final block.



After 2 squares, I evaluate and so far, they turned out to be about the same width. Score!



After the 3rd block, I wasn't so lucky. So I'm going to have to trim down the last block so it matches the width of the other two. I will do this later when I'm connecting the blocks. Don't do it now, because you may end up moving blocks around to make your length work and then you might regret it! No trimming until you absolutely have to!




I'm going to continue doing this on this row. With the next row, I will do the same, but also evaluate the total length of the column. This is where moving blocks around will begin. I'll show you how I do this in a couple of weeks. I have to come to the realization that I am indeed in dental school and I have 10 finals in the next 2 weeks!


So, farewell until then! I'll be done May 21st!

No comments: