May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Sewing, Etc.

My "sewing room", Saturday, as I furiously whipped up some Mother's Day gifts, listened to my cousin do the play-by-play for the Rockwall Yellowjackets softball team in the playoffs, and watched a really great movie (84 Charing Cross Road):

The postman brought my new stash of batting, so I'm ready to go!

I decided to make pot-holders and kitchen towels out of this awesome kitchen fabric my great-grandma Nanny Burks left behind in her stash. The one on the right was a first attempt (now belongs to me...), the rest of them were made like the one on the left - much easier and looks better (at least close up...). Totally forgot to take a picture of the towels, but as I'm making many more for other relatives not present at lunch today who are sure to be jealous (!), I'm sure to have a picture in the near future : )

I was a great chance to practice some machine quilting! I feel a lot better about it and will probably machine quilt most of the quilts I have coming up since it should be faster. I did stippling on 1/2 and wavy lines on 1/2 - a total of 7 practice runs!
I've made a mess of nine-patch blocks which will soon "disappear" to make 2 baby quilts for my cousin's twins, Emory Elizabeth and Mary Catherine, who were born this week - premature and tiny, but doing awesome without oxygen! Their mom is still in the hospital fighting staph, so definitely prayers for her on this Mother's Day.


I'll be posting early this week on the progress of the t-shirt quilt! I'll show you how I add borders and start putting it all together!


2 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love your potholders! That is a project on my to-do list. Would love to see the towels as well!

Nessa Dee said...

Love the potholders!

Don't worry about the instructions for old blue. I guess my mom hadn't used a sewing machine in a while. Audrie and I have no problems threading it.

Thanks again...Audrie loves it.