September 22, 2013

Andrea's Criss-Cross Dress

I bought this pattern at Walmart about 5 years ago when my 
brother and his wife got pregnant with their first little girl. 


 I thought, as a first year student in dental school, that I would make this dress for my niece. 
Ha!  I didn't even make one for my Audrey!  


I finally realized, that if I didn't make one for Andi before the summer was out, I'd probably never make it. And it was Andi's turn for a dress, anyway!


I had also planned to make the very similar pattern by Maggie at Smashed Peas and Carrots with the perfect diaper cover by Dana Made It. I plan on giving those a try, too. 


My big 8 month old is wearing a size 12 months in most things, and I figured that if this size 12 months was too big, she could wear it longer. 


  Well, it's pretty big. In fact, Audrey can almost wear it as a top. 
But it's still super cute!  And so is my sweet girl!


The only really new things that I did was make covered buttons and buttonholes.


The covered buttons were super easy using a kit I got at Hobby Lobby,
and the buttonholes weren't nearly as scary as I made them out to be. 


I do recommend reading your sewing machine manual and
 testing out your buttonhole stitch on a piece of scrap first ; )


She wore it to church today with a long-sleeve onesie underneath it 
since there was a chill in the air.
Such a sweetheart!




1 comment:

Ellen said...

So cute! Your girls are getting so big! :)