February 4, 2019

Jesse Tree Ornaments

Do you know what the Jesse Tree is?

According to my sweet friend Jacki at The Jesse Tree Project:

The Jesse Tree is a way of telling the story of God’s plan from the beginning of time to redeem His people by sending a Savior.  It follows the lineage of Christ’s family and key people in the Old Testament that God uses to tell His story from Creation through Christ’s birth.  It is a countdown daily to Christmas with the telling of a story, and an ornament that acts as a symbol and visual reminder of the story.
shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.    The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him— the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the LORD— and he will delight in the fear of the LORD. 
Isaiah 11: 1-3
Once the kids were old enough to really sit and listen to a story (3ish? for us), I jumped on the bandwagon with the Jesse Tree Project and ordered the devotional book download.  While the Jesse Tree Project is really meant to be done as a group of women each making one "day" of ornaments to share with the group, I went solo with this and created my own set of ornaments, using various sources for inspiration.  I actually made two sets, so that each of my daughters could have one of their own one day.  I made them with felt and embroidery thread and they have proven to be my kids' favorite tradition that they start asking about as soon as Thanksgiving is over!  Each ornament correlates to a story in the Bible that we read every day in December as we lead up to Christ's birth.
My setup: I had tons of this brown felt, so I used it as a backing for all the ornaments.  I cut different colored circles for each design background.  After I embroidered each felt piece as necessary and attached with a blanket stitch, I placed a small circle of batting between the front and back circle, and attached a small loop of white ribbon to hang each ornament.


The Root of Jesse


Creation


The First Sin


Noah and the Flood


 Abraham and God's Promise 


The Offering of Isaac


Jacob's Ladder


Joseph and His Coat


Moses and the Passover


Moses and the 10 Commandments


Joshua and the Battle of Jericho


Ruth and Boaz


God Chooses a New King


Elijah and the Big Fire


Jonah Hides


The Coming Light in Isaiah


Daniel and the Lions


Queen Esther


God's Messengers


John the Baptist


Mary and Joseph 


Christ Born in a Manger


The Big Announcement



Follow the Star


Isn't it fun?  I've tossed around the idea of producing some sort of pattern that others could use to cut out the shapes and make there own.  If you have interest in me doing that, just let me know!








No comments: