February 20, 2019

Maroon Out Aggie Quilt

     
When I was a freshman at Texas A&M University, some students decided to sell $5 “Maroon Out” shirts the first year we played Nebraska in the Big 12 (1998).  We wanted the whole stadium to be maroon to drown out all the red, so it was a mass produced shirt that everyone could easily afford. It became a thing, and lo and behold 20 years later, the company that makes the shirts re-released every Maroon Out Shirt and offered a package deal to buy them all. My dental buddy, and then-president of his local A&M club in Corpus Christi, offered to buy all 20 shirts if I’d make a quilt to donate to his club for a raffle. How could I say no?

   

The box came!  And I had some laundry to do, because maroon bleeds bad. 


I got all the shirts cut up and ironed on to the interfacing. 
Didn’t I say I’d never do another t-shirt quilt?


And here it is!  I needed a bit of filler in order to lay out the shirts in chronological order and get it big enough. I turned to Texas history and included the de Zavala flag, the Dodson flag, the current flag, and an outline of the state in maroon, all done with piecing and appliqué. 


I added a few borders and machine quilted it with a lattice pattern. 
I did a pieced backing with solid remnants. I don’t think it’s been sold at this point, but I hope it raises some money to help a deserving student with a scholarship!









No comments: