January 2, 2010

One thing I've actually done in this new year...

...is add my blog roll back to my blog.  Here's the deal:

Last year, I completely deleted it, transferred everything to Google Reader, and became addicted.  Seriously addicted.  I probably added like 100 new blogs, all with great people and amazing ideas.

But you lose all the personal touches of a blog when all you do is read them in the sterile, boring view of Google Reader.  (sorry, GR!!) We all carefully design our blogs and they represent us, and I felt like I was "losing touch" with people that probably have no clue who I am, but it still bothered me.  It's so much harder to comment and I found myself on the outside looking in and rarely participating.  I started getting people mixed up and not even really realizing who was posting what because I wasn't associating it with their actual blog, the design, the picture of their smiling face in the sidebar...

So, I added everyone to my blog roll.  Yes, all 170-something of them.  Only the 25 most recent posts will show, but I'm still reading every one of them.  And I will try to pare it down as the year goes on...you know, the whole "all things in moderation" deal.

So, it's nice to see all my peeps again, for real.  As real it can be in the world of blogs and all...

Time to do something with fabric now....I gotta get a project ready to take to CO with me ; )

2 comments:

Donna said...

I totally know what you mean - - I don't think I could keep up with all the blogs I want to read without google reader and would miss some posts, which I hate . . I'm in the 'seriously addicted phase of life' but am trying to click out and comment and connect as much as I can, since I think that's important.

Going to add you too!

- Donna (from KindredCrafters) ...my signature doesn't link back to our blog - if I was more techy I would fix it!!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I read through Google reader but I always click the post so I visit the blog itself to make a comment. That helps me a lot!

I learn so much from reading blogs!