June 8, 2008

English Paper Piecing


I needed a plane-friendly project for our trip to Yosemite and decided to continue to use up Nanny Burks' fabric by trying out a little paper piecing. I really didn't decide to do the paper piecing until we were on the plane and read about it in my Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. There's also a great tutorial here from Camille Roskelley. Up until then, I thought I'd just try my hand at hand piecing, but I had to be adventurous, so here I am. I have 4 "flowers" made so far and a stack of pieces ready to go and whole lot of squares waiting their turn. I cut a hexagon template out of template plastic and then used then template to trace a gazillion hexagons on whatever piece of paper I could come up with: old rental car confirmations, hotel confirmations, you name it! Then its just a matter of basting the small squares of Nanny's fabric to the hexagons one side at a time and then whip stitching them together. Once a hex is completely surrounded you get to take out the paper, which is very exciting : ) How many projects can a girl have going on at the same time? The question is, how many do I have waiting in the wings??? : )

No comments: